To access DiscovHR, click here or on the graphic in the upper right hand corner of this page. Note: Please click here to view our troubleshooting guide if you are having difficulty accessing DiscovHR.
DiscovHR (pronounced "Discover") is the online visualization tool that depicts the Joint Enterprise Baseline (JEB) – the consolidation of Human Resources Management (HRM) Enterprise Standards, Finance and Accounting (F&A) Enterprise Standards, and Common Human Resources Information Standards (CHRIS) into one conceptual framework.
- HRM Enterprise Standards are encapsulations of existing policy, documented terms and definitions, business rules, business processes, and business information needs relative to specific functional areas. They enable the application of benefits and entitlements across the Department of Defense (DoD) by providing semantically consistent HRM information to support regular military compensation, special and incentive pays, and eligibility for personnel programs. For more information, please visit the HRM Enterprise Standards webpage.
- F&A Enterprise Standards are encapsulations of existing policies, business rules, business processes, and business information needs. They enable accurate and consistent pay computations across the DoD and support policies and regulations as they relate to accounting, disbursing, reporting, auditability, and interoperability. For more information, please visit the JEB webpage.
- CHRIS, as part of the HRM Enterprise Standards, are encapsulated views of business information needs or information necessary to carry out an operational business rule. They help convey information that is semantically consistent with the DoD’s HRM business context. CHRIS support the information needs of HRM Enterprise Standards and F&A Enterprise Standards. For more information, please visit the CHRIS section of the HRM Enterprise Standards webpage.
The JEB provides DoD-wide standards to stakeholders responsible for determining personnel, compensation, finance, and accounting requirements in Service Integrated Personnel and Pay Systems (IPPS). The DiscovHR tool brings the expertise of requirements producers and enterprise software together to create an environment that promotes the understanding and implementation of DoD requirements at all levels.
Benefits and Features
DiscovHR’s interactive diagram, also known as a hyperbolic tree, provides a way for users to explore and understand the JEB. Policy owners, Service IPPS developers, and members of the DoD HRM and F&A communities are encouraged to use DiscovHR to:
- Search DiscovHR's comprehensive JEB database. DiscovHR contains all of the JEB Sets, HRM Enterprise Standards, and F&A Enterprise Standards included in the JEB. DiscovHR's search capability enables users to search based on a standard's name, a functional context, or an associated key word.
- View relationships among JEB concepts. For example, a user can view business rules and the information necessary to implement them.
- Identify the impacts of policy changes. With DiscovHR, users can trace authoritative sources to specific policies that support DoD HRM and F&A Enterprise Standards.
- Understand business information needs. CHRIS define information needs embedded in business processes and associated operational business rules.
- Provide feedback about standards. Users can provide feedback about specific standards or any other concepts.
DiscovHR 3.0 features an enhanced graphical user interface offering the following benefits:
- Allows users to move, collapse/expand, and scroll through information panes as they wish
- Offers a simpler and more intuitive user experience
- Increases space for the hyperbolic tree, enhancing users’ abilities to organize and view relevant concepts and their respective relationships
- Introduces a Concept Toolbar which enables the user to filter and export search results as well as to customize the user interface by selecting or deselecting certain information panes, allowing the user to see only the information in which he/she has interest
Training and Documentation
DiscovHR documentation is available in the Resources section on the right side of this webpage:
- User Guide – provides detailed instructions about how to use the tool and its features
- Overview Sheet – provides a two-page overview of the tool and the concept relationships
- Icon Key – provides a one-page description of each DiscovHR icon
- Concept Relationship Map – provides a graphic that depicts how JEB concepts relate to one another in DiscovHR
The links below provide five DiscovHR 3.0 training videos in Windows Media format. Each video addresses a specific aspect of DiscovHR:
- DiscovHR 3.0 and the JEB - Watch
- JEB Depiction in DiscovHR - Watch
- The DiscovHR 3.0 User Interface - Watch
- Using the Hyperbolic Tree - Watch
- Basic and Advanced Searches - Watch
DiscovHR requires that you have Java Runtime Environment version 1.6 or higher installed on your computer. If DiscovHR will not load, please check with your system administrator.
P&R IM's Role
P&R IM developed DiscovHR to help stakeholders view and understand the relationships among JEB concepts. P&R IM and the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) plan to update the JEB on a regular basis. These content updates will be incorporated into DiscovHR when available. Please check back for information about future updates.
For more information on DiscovHR, please contact the P&R IM Representative.